Diocletian's Reviews > The Book of the Year 2018: Your Definitive Guide to the World’s Weirdest News

The Book of the Year 2018 by No Such Thing As A Fish

I actually got this book for free after attending a live podcast recording. After last year's book I didn't have much appetite to buy a similar book again. If like me, you keep abreast of the news then much of the stories in this book, will be revision. Though very occasionally, there is a gem of a story that is unknown to you and is genuinely hilarious. One fact that stands out is: "Scientists invented a contact lens that lets you shoot lasers from your eyes". It was entertaining enough to stave off boredom. Like I said last time, the audiobook is probably a lot more entertaining.

This time, I skipped the "For x, see y" sections entirely because it very rarely had any jokes in it previously. There was one factual inaccuracy, in that they say cannabis is a viable cure for glaucoma. No physician in the world would prescribe smoking weed as a glaucoma treatment. I think I saw some statistics about this once, that said several tonnes of weed would have to be smoked for any tangible effect. There was a nice section on mocking Trump, as in yesteryear.

Again they do not cite sources for their content and it may be difficult to fact check the assertions or simply read about a topic further.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of the Year 2018.

November 27, 2018 – Shelved