Lindsay Franklin's Reviews > The Story Raider

The Story Raider by Lindsay A. Franklin

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-wrote

Okay, friends. This little story of my heart is finally out there. I'm so excited to share it with you.

Here are some content warnings/notes:

Like The Story Peddler, The Story Raider is a clean read. This book would probably be rated PG or PG-13 due to fantasy violence and thematic elements, if it were a movie. My opinion is that it's appropriate for ages 12/13+, though your mileage may vary, depending on your judgment of such matters. I know every reader's (and every parent's) lines are different in this regard.

That said, I introduce a character in Raider who has a traumatic past. While not explicitly described or depicted, this character alludes to the sexual abuse that shaped and wrecked her. Though the circumstances are quite different, this character's journey is based on my life. I debated with myself about her a lot. Should I write her story in this way? Should I take on something so dark and unsavory, something that has affected me so personally?

At the end of the day, I wrote her the way I wanted to—the way she stepped into my mind, fully conceived, when a title suggestion from my editor sparked the idea for this character. And that's because, best the experts can estimate, one in five girls and one in twenty boys under the age of eighteen is sexually assaulted. If you know more than a handful of people, you know someone with this story. If you know me, you know someone with this story. Because of that, I decided to portray this character as openly and honestly as I could.

I know you will use your best judgment as a reader here. I cherish the trust that develops between reader and author through the sharing of story. If you have specific questions, I'm always happy to respond as I'm able.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story Raider.

Finished Reading
November 27, 2018 – Shelved as: books-i-wrote
November 27, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Patrice (new) - added it

Patrice Can’t wait to read it! IF the booksellers will ever stop interfering! Amazon cancelled the pre-orders, so I pre-ordered from Barnes & Noble, but they never sent it, so I cancelled from them and went back to Amazon, which said it’s out of stock until August 8th. So I ordered it from Christian Books. Fingers crossed!

message 2: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Franklin Patrice wrote: "Can’t wait to read it! IF the booksellers will ever stop interfering! Amazon cancelled the pre-orders, so I pre-ordered from Barnes & Noble, but they never sent it, so I cancelled from them and wen..."

Oh, gosh!! I'm so sorry about that! I know Christian Book has shipped books for some readers, at least, so I'm hoping they come through for you. The double listing thing has been such a nightmare. :(

Lavay Byrd Wow! Thank you for sharing! Your story brought tears to my eyes! I bought and read the book earlier (LOVED IT!) though forgot to post a review. Once I read it again, I'll review it with fresh memory... also, I'll look for this paticular character you mentioned! ;)

message 4: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Franklin Lavay wrote: "Wow! Thank you for sharing! Your story brought tears to my eyes! I bought and read the book earlier (LOVED IT!) though forgot to post a review. Once I read it again, I'll review it with fresh memor..."

Thanks so much, Lavay! I so appreciate you taking the time to read. **hugs** This new character is found in book 2. :)

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Sadly, I think those numbers of getting molested is now one in 4 girls and one in 5 boys. The issue really makes my heart weep.

message 6: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Franklin Hannah wrote: "The issue really makes my heart weep."

Mine too. :(

Brandee I enjoyed this book so much! I do wish I would not have stumbled upon it until you were done with it, because I suck at having patience with books.
I'm equally disappointed that the story will end after the next book. This should be like Outlander. No end in sight!

message 8: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay Franklin Brandee wrote: "I enjoyed this book so much! I do wish I would not have stumbled upon it until you were done with it, because I suck at having patience with books.
I'm equally disappointed that the story will end..."

Aw!! Thank you so much! Book 3 is due to release May 2020. Sorry for the wait, but I hope it'll be worth it! :D