Jodi's Reviews > Teenage: The Creation of Youth Culture

Teenage by Jon Savage

liked it

I wavered between three and four stars on this book. On the one hand, there was a lot of fascinating facts, but on the other hand, it was interspersed with some very dull sections. Even though I learned a lot, it bugged me that Savage at times held up examples of the minority and then applied their actions with sweeping generalization to all adolescents. He even says in his introduction, "It may be argued that I have concentrated too much on the extraordinary rather than the ordinary, the extreme at the expense of the routine." Um, yes. I DO argue that! I also wearied of hearing about how every decade the teens were at odds with their parents, that there was this huge generation gap, that morals were disintegrating, the adults had somehow failed the youth, etc., etc. The book was honestly a bit of a downer focusing on these type of things for FOUR HUNDRED AND SIXTY-NINE PAGES! Savage never mentioned, "Hey, this was just like the previous decade when kids and adults didn't get along!", but always made it seem like it was a new and terrible thing that was happening. It did put the England riots of August of last year in perspective. Riots like that are nothing new. Teens rebel. Kids and parents are going to have a generation gap. We don't need to get our knickers in a twist because history just repeats itself over and over again. I did learn so much though which made this book (and the late fee the library will charge me when I finally return it) worth it. It also made me incredibly grateful to my teens who though far from perfect, are fairly obedient and loving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teenage.

January 12, 2012 – Started Reading