Abi's Reviews > The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: middle-grade-reads, short-story
Read in January, 2012

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More is arranged in the proper order: it gets more and more amazing as you go through it. And, it is made of Dahl-spun wonderfulness throughout.

English language arts teachers and aspiring writers (or, "I wish I could be an aspiring writer..."s) should take note of Dahl's story "Lucky Break: How I Became a Writer," in which Dahl advises that writers "possess or...try to acquire" seven characteristics to become a fiction writer, including:

"3. You must have stamina. In other words, you must be able to stick to what you are doing and never give up, for hour after hour, day after day, week after week, and month after month.
...
"6. It helps a lot if you have a keen sense of humor. This is not essential when writing for grown-ups, but for children, it's vital."

I won't ruin for you how Dahl became a writer (but I will tell you that his first story is included in this volume!) or why "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" is so perfectly wonderful, but I do recommend that you peruse this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More.