Katherine Paschal's Reviews > The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate

The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate by Sandy   Hall

liked it
bookshelves: contemp-romance, teen

He doesn’t have any effect on me; he doesn’t matter. That’s my new motto. So what if we have classes together and work together and live in the same dorm? None of that matters. The universe isn’t trying to tell me something. Why would the universe be talking to me anyway? Doesn’t it have more important things to do?

I absolutely loved Carter, he was a really complicated character who fully understood his flaws and mistakes and was willing to own them any way he needed to. He experienced growth and humility while trying to be the best person he could be now, even with some emotional turmoil thrown in for flavor. He had so many justified opportunities to lash out during the course of the book, but really he didn't he didn't. I rooted for him to have something positive in his life, especially since his outlook was so negative.

My biggest problem with the book was Paisley and her immaturity. She went out of her way to sabotage Carter every chance she got, at times almost costing him his job and education, acting herself like the mean middle school bully Carter was. I could not connect to her in any way and I did not care for her as a character. Even when her friend who had been bullied forgave Carter, she refused to. And honestly, kids grow up and can self reflect and grow but she never even gave Carter that chance. I will admit that she grew up a little too towards the the end of the book but I too may hold grudges and I could not like her.

“Why do we say Friday night?”
“Huh?” she asks around a mouthful of cheese. “Like, why don’t we say Friday when we mean day and Fri-night when we mean Friday night?”
“Are you stoned? That’s definitely the kind of question a stoned person would ask.”
“No, I’m not stoned. I’m serious. This is serious business. I think about this a lot,” I say. “There’s a pretty good chance you have too much time on your hands.”
“Well, I’m going to start a grassroots movement. If you want in, this is your chance.”
“Do I want in on a grassroots movement to start using Mon-night, Tues-night, Wednes-night in regular conversation? That’s what you’re asking me.”

Overall this was not a book for me but there was some entertaining banter and I am sure that others will love the story. I do really like the fact that is set in college and I would love to see more books in the upper YA/NA with a real college experience thrown in. I would check out more books by Sandy in the future because she can write a great character as seen by Carter, I just don't think this revenge plot worked for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate.

November 26, 2018 – Shelved