Serena Yates's Reviews > Permanent

Jan 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: gay
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

A dark past is something many people have trouble accepting – in themselves but even more so in others. This is the story of River, a man who has been to the bottom of abusive hell and back, and what happens when he falls in love. It is also the story of Tory, the man who loves him and how he deals with his lover’s gruesome past, his own feelings, and his colleagues' reactions.

River is a tortured soul. A natural submissive, and someone looking for love and acceptance at almost any price, he has made some bad decisions. His Mistress used him for her own amusement, and damaged him physically (which is bad enough) and mentally. The lack of self-confidence in River and his desperate love for Tory were very touching. His inability to tell Tory the truth was totally understandable. He needed more than trust to come clean though – he needed Tory to push him, almost force him to talk. I certainly can’t blame River for trying to ‘wish things away’ as he put it.

Tory is a contradiction in terms. He has his own issues and is outgoing and tolerant one moment, withdrawn and arrogant the next. He is a hard man to love, a hard man to get to know, and an even harder man to get to commit to one man and stick with him. Tory fights himself, not willing to admit he has feelings for River, and that almost costs them their future.

The high degree of realism and description of the degradation River was made to suffer makes this a hard read. It is not for the faint of heart, as, indeed, the whole topic is not one you should approach hoping for a 'fluffy' story. There is hardly any romance here, but there is a glimpse at what true love can do to help two people over their feelings of inadequacy. Recommended if you are curious about the darker side of human nature or if you want to read about an ‘acid test’ for love under very difficult circumstances.

NOTE: This book was provided by Total-E-Bound for the purpose of a review on Queer Magazine Online.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Permanent.

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Slayer I agree this book wasn't as romantic as I'd enjoyed, but thank you for the review. I appreciate your comments.