Rebecca's Reviews > Time Gangsters

Time Gangsters by Berin L. Stephens

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: book-tour-host-for-review, for-review, net-galley, from-publisher
Read in January, 2012

Time Gangsters is a fun, fast, middle grade read. I haven't had this much fun with a book in this genre since I read the Percy Jackson series. It is one of those ridiculously out there stories that you think…why could that not have happened to my cousins and me when we were that age?!?!

Don’t let the cover fool you the two main characters Billy and Danny are two teens from our time. These two have been at each others throats for a long time, they are so different from one another it was fun to watch them work together, fighting throughout Time Gangsters. I also liked Billy’s best friend Wheezy, his character was fun. I thought it was funny when he announced he could breath better and they were trying to think of new names for him.
“I’ve never been able to breath this good. There’s no wheezing no constriction. This is wonderful.” His face then took on a serious expression. “ But this means I’ll have to change my name.”
“How about Not-Wheezy,” Billy suggested.
“Or Wheezeless,” Sticks added

As fun as the characters are, you may worry about the story, but I found it had great flow. Even with the large page number Time Gangsters has, it was a very fast read. I believe this is the first middle grade I’ve read with time travel in it. So for anyone who new to the time travel concepts and all the problems it can cause, this is a great book to read!

With fun lines like:

“They have guns and superpowers. Even if you call in the entire army, they have the means to wipe them out and continue with their plans. The only weapons that can stop them are the other coins.”

You know you want to read it, just to find out what exciting thing happens with the coins and how they were used. Berin Stephens did an awesome job of keeping me entertained throughout Time Gangsters.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca
www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Gangsters.