Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna

The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna by Juliet Grames

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, historical-fiction, fiction, magical-realism

I thought the premise of this book was so intriguing; a family saga about life in an Italian-American immigrant family. It follows Stella Fortuna and her series of near-death experiences over the course of 100 years intertwined with young romance, family rivalries and some magical realism. Overall, it made promises for an interesting read. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

What let this book down for me was the third person perspective. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve read many books written from this perspective which I’ve adored. However, the story-telling was lacking. The narration felt distant and cold and I couldn’t connect with any of the characters. I didn’t once feel immersed in Stella’s word, and rather, I felt like I was merely reading a long string of wretched events.

The darkness of the storyline was relentless. Yes, this is set in War-time Italy, but there wasn’t even a hint of happiness. Eventually, I was simply skimming the pages.

I appreciate the author portraying hardships endured by women such as rape and abuse, which anyone going into this book should be cautious about.

Overall, I'm afraid this wasn't for me. However, don’t let my review alone influence you! Most reviews so far have been positive, some books just aren't for everyone.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna.

November 26, 2018 – Shelved