Pam Baddeley's Reviews > Sister Light, Sister Dark

Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy

On the face of it this book should have appealed to me more: a community of women, including warriors, who worship a goddess and provide a safe haven for the abandoned girl babies of their local communities. It is a 'chosen one' type story which has become rather more of an overused trope than at the time of first publication, but all the same there should have been the opportunity to become involved with the characters and their problems.

Unfortunately, I found the same kind of distancing that I found in this authors Cards of Grief. This time it is accomplished by constant interruptions to the story to tell us what the mythical version of these real events was, what the legendary and often very distorted version was, and what various learned academics made of it a thousand or so years later, often rubbishing the very idea of women as warriors or the existence of the main character, Jenna, as a real person rather than an archetype. Unfortunately this interfered to a major extent with my ability to invest in the characters and also - especially the academic parts - came across as a Pseud's Corner type sendup (for anyone who doesn't know that is a column in the journal 'Private Eye' which sends up this type of academic language and analysis). So I didn't find the story or characters very engaging as a result. The end is also a bit abrupt as it sets up the situation for book 2 of the trilogy - having built up the unpleasant priestess in Jenna's community as a real threat to her mission, said threat is easily and quickly neutralised. So I can only rate this as 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister Light, Sister Dark.

November 26, 2018 – Shelved