Allana June's Reviews > We Told Six Lies

We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

bookshelves: 2019-releases, earc

Initially, I thought that this book is nothing but your typical YA book. Here we have a manic pixie dream girl that is sooooo out of the male lead’s league. She’s just so special unlike any other girl there (Well isn’t a female lead always special in YA books?). And we have a socially awkward male lead who has no friends, he’s just waiting for a girl to arrive who will turn his world upside down. Typical, right? And to add to that, the female lead just mysteriously disappears. Kind of reminds me of Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska. So, at first, I wasn’t that into this book. I assumed that this book will not stand out from other YA books.

But heyyyyy I was so wrong! For me this book is more of a thriller than a young adult book because what made this interesting are the mysteries.

Molly, the female lead, is missing. The book starts with the police questioning Cobain, the male lead, who is Molly’s boyfriend. From the POV of Cobain, we find out that he’s actually very worried about Molly so we initially rule him out as the suspect. So, the first mystery was “What happened to Molly?” But then, we find out soon enough that she was abducted. The ultimate question is “Who took Molly?” Is it Cobain?It couldn’t be, right? He loves Molly. Or was it really love or obsession?

The best part about this book is the plot twist. My suspicion is right but not really. You’d have to read the book to get that. Anyways, I was shocked. It was the almost to the level of my surprise from the twist from We Were Liars. That intense! The plot twist was also strengthened with the book being perfectly paced. It was a bit of a slow start but I realized that it was beneficial for the overall pacing. There were certain parts that we need to absorb slowly in order to be fully immersed by the end. Towards the end, I couldn’t seem to stop reading. I just had to get there. I just had to find out what was going to happen.

The characters are also deeper than I initially thought especially the complexity of the mind of Cobain. I was actually very annoyed about how he talks about Molly, more on because he’s just always so Molly Molly Molly. I never really understood that even with the ending but I like that he’s more than that. I’m not a fan of Molly either. But I am fan of how these characters were created. Certainly, a lot of time was spent to develop these characters because there were just so many layers. As people, they’re not perfect. As characters, they’re somewhere close.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to everyone. This book will be published by March 2019 and I really think this book is something to be excited about especially if you are a fan of thrillers.

For more review, go to http://readwanderloveandlive.blog/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Told Six Lies.

November 25, 2018 – Started Reading