Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

bookshelves: classics, fiction, romance

Never have I ever felt so conflicted about a cast of characters than I have about those in Wuthering Heights.

Although described as a great love story, one word which better encapsulates the entire essence of this Brontë classic is passion. What we have is an exploration of the results of passionate, destructive love and the vengeance, betrayal and jealousy that comes with it.

I’ll admit, I was ignorant of this story’s bleakness. I anticipated a classic romance story about a young couple loving each other unconditionally. Rather, it’s a dreary, tragic tale.

Catherine and Heathcliff’s all-consuming love for one another devastates the lives of everyone around them. They’re awful. Heathcliff, ascribed to his obsession with the only individual who ever showed him any kindness, sets out on his revenge mission to destroy those who kept him from his true love. You could consider it a grand romantic gesture, really.

Through the housekeeper, Ellen Dean’s narration, we witness the characters acquire nothing but misery for themselves. They dig their own graves as they pursue their ardent desire for revenge. Wuthering Heights features a myriad of egregious characters. And yet, they captivated me in a way so that I couldn’t tear my eyes away from their fits of frenzy caused by their raging emotions.

Furthermore, the dreary wilderness mirrors their wild behaviour. These characters are isolated within the landscape of the dark, foggy Yorkshire moors, far removed from the rules of civilization. Consequently, their loneliness only amplifies their frantic emotions. The vivid descriptions of this isolated land showcase the eloquent prose which I so loved in Jane Eyre.

Ultimately, Bronte denies the pleasure of a happily ever after ending. The raw emotions are palpable, the writing it meticulous, the setting symbolic of the wild, unconventional nature of these individuals. Every character in Wuthering Heights is dreadful. And yet, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

November 25, 2018 – Shelved