Nadia's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

bookshelves: best-of-2018, contemporary-fiction, suspense

This is probably one of the best courtroom dramas I've ever read. Having hardly any idea of what the book was about, I found myself totally engrossed after only a few chapters in.

Elizabeth, a mother of an autistic boy is on trial for setting a fire to a hyperbaric oxygen chamber 'Miracle Submarine', causing the death of two people, including her son, and seriously injuring 4 other patients. The miracle submarine clinic is run by a Korean family who moved to the States for a better life. When the tragedy strikes, their wealth is destroyed and the father of the family ends up in a wheelchair.  It becomes obvious very quickly that the case is not as straightforward as it first appeared. Each person involved in the fire tragedy is hiding something, protecting their own interests, not realising that the things they are hiding are crucial in uncovering the truth.

The chapers switch between different POVs slowly revealing new bits of information to gradually piece together the events preceding the tragedy. This is done in such a clever way that with each chapter I thought I knew who the criminal was, only to completely change my mind a chapter later, and then do it all over again!

I was very impressed with Angie Kim's ability to handle difficult subject matters with so much authenticity. The portrayal of the hardship of a Korean family moving to the States was heartbreaking and felt very real as the author was drawing upon her own experience. Reading about the struggles of the mothers with children with autism was emotional and again it felt very real.

I think this is a great debut novel and I look forward to reading more from Angie Kim.

Many thanks to Farrar, Straus and Giroux, and NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

November 25, 2018 – Started Reading
November 25, 2018 – Shelved
November 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018
April 14, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Fab review Nadia, I'm really interested in this one :)

message 2: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Cool. I like that you went in semi-blind. I do that a lot these days. This sounds interesting. Awesome review!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review Nadia, interesting story !

Nadia Lisa, Shaina, Sandra - thank you very much!! 💕

JV (semi-hiatus) Wonderfully written, Nadia! 😊

Nadia Thank you very much, JV! 🙏

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie This sounds really good!! Requested it from NG! 😊

Nadia Wonderful! I hope you enjoy it, Julie! 😁

Felicia Jeezaloo that's a brutal way to die 😐 great review, Nadia 💖

Nadia Felicia wrote: "Jeezaloo that's a brutal way to die 😐 great review, Nadia 💖"
Thanks Felicia! Yup, very brutal, but I really enjoyed the book thou!

message 11: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline This sounds so good, I had to add it! Terrific review, Nadia! :)

Nadia Jaline wrote: "This sounds so good, I had to add it! Terrific review, Nadia! :)"

Thanks Jaline! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 13: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb Jones You've whet my appetite with your great review, Nadia. I've added it to be TBR list. Thank you : )

Nadia I hope you like it, Deb! 💙

Beata Excellent review, Nadia :) Looking forward to reading it :)

Nadia Thank you, Beata. This is definitely a good read, let's see what you think. 🙂

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Nadia!

Nadia Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Nadia!"

Thank you Susanne! Glad you loved it too :)

message 19: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Langford Wonderful review Nadia ! I’ll have to keep my eye out for this one 😄

Nadia Thank you Lucy! You should :)