Robert Owens's Reviews > Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do

Blue Mind by Wallace J. Nichols

did not like it
bookshelves: questscouts, hoopla, audiobook, nonfiction, water, science

B-O-R-I-N-G!

This is what happens when an academic never steps outside of his academia. This is replete with one anecdotal account “backed up” by some study after another. Yet, none of it strung together cohesively. I tired of hearing about fMRI studies.

Blue Mind seems to be a way to capitalize on the much more pithy (and understandable) salt life tagline.

I grew up at the beach. As most who did and those who get to live at the beach, there is something about the environment that calls one to it. My sister moved away from the beach and has lived in the midwest most of her adult life. Yet, she relishes whenever she is able to return to the beach.

I think that is the sentiment Nichols was trying to convey. Yet, this book was such a mess. He went from that to opioid addiction, suicide, and environmental politics. Blech!

About halfway through, Nichols made the claim, "That's why many surfers get drawn to other risky pastimes . . . including drugs." Really? Absolutely no data to back that claim. Just a blanket generalization that he used to make a point.

Nichols read his book on the audio version I listened to. He does not read well, imo. He comes across as someone so enamored with his thoughts without considering that perhaps his thesis is too broad. That he ends his book with a list of name-drops to bolster his credibility does nothing to build the case of the promise in the title of the book.

This is not something I would want to repeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Mind.

November 25, 2018 – Shelved