Rumsha A • Storiesandplottwists's Reviews > The Sheriff's Catch

The Sheriff's Catch by James Vella-Bardon

The graphics! I can not even begin to tell how graphic and vivid and brilliant the descriptions were throughout the book, whether they be of  wild wolves quenching their thirsts through the slashed throats of Spaniards, dipping their snouts in, or of the gally slaves crapping and puking their guts out on the stinking floorboards of the Armada.

I never knew i would enjoy a book on history and war set in the 15th century as much as i did reading 'The Sherrif's Catch' by @vellabardonj .

It all starts when Abel di Santiago,a Spanish sniper, gets ridiculed and cheated by his own men and embarks on a road to avenge his beloved wife Elsien's murderers, taking Martien, his brother in law with him.

I am in a w e of the Mr Bardon writes. Despite this being his debut book, he never failed to mesmerise me with the way he strung his words, ruthlessly and with so much emotion, never repeating the phrases. This book actually helped me diet by constricting my heart in a vice like grip, too far gone in the feels to pay attention to carbs lying seductively in front of me.

Character building was excellent. I felt forlorn to see an innocent lad turning into a feeling-less, stone faced man, but i guess that's what war and lash beatings would do to anyone. I'd recommend this book to anyone who has even an ounce of interest in historical fiction, this is your next pick!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheriff's Catch.

November 25, 2018 – Shelved