Velma's Reviews > The New New Rules: A Funny Look At How Everybody But Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass

The New New Rules by Bill Maher

Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, politics, humor-comedy, 2012-reads
Recommended to Velma by: borrowed from Zach
Recommended for: Tea Baggers & bathroom readers
Read from January 12 to 13, 2012

I'm not sure Maher likes women much, and he's a bit fixated on his junk, but this chinese-food of humor (you know: yummy, but you're hungry again an hour after ingesting) is entertaining as all get-out, and I'd totally be Tweeting these piths if I didn't think I'd receive a cease-and-desist from Maher's stable of attorneys.

Like it's predecessor, The New Rules, this one is structured as a set of Maher's humorous observations about modern life. This smart, acidic, and hilariously off-color collection of pieces is a quick and entertaining read. I particularly enjoyed the longer, more political editorial essays sprinkled throughout. I think Maher writes from an if-I-don't-laugh-I'll-slit-my-wrists perspective, and it really comes out in these scathing indictments. Also: Best. Forward. EVER.

Be careful where you read this book, though: if you don't like laughing aloud in public, or you are in the closet about using your brain, be sure to read it in the safety and comfort of your own home.

And although I think he'd tell me to fuck off for saying so: Maher for President in 2016!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New New Rules.