Stephanie Lenox's Reviews > Come Matter Here: Your Invitation to Be Here in a Getting There World

Come Matter Here by Hannah Brencher

U 50x66

I was first struck by the soul of this book. Hannah touches a human feeling of desperation and hopelessness as she invites us along her journey of suffering depression, the team built around her during that time, and the journey back to life and hope, through her faith and her community. I loved how she dug deep into the stories and lessons of the Bible, bringing us along with her. Her vulnerability was a different flavor than the over-sharing, quick-fix, "yeah I know totally me too," insta-connection that social media tries to feed us. She sinks into this book, and invites the reader to meet her in the thick of it.
The forward by Jess Connolly was right: I kept my highlighter and pen close-by throughout this read. There were so many concise quotes about the nature of growing up, connecting with others, bringing who you really are to God, right in your mess, and showing up with what you've got in your own life.
Though I may be a half-generation older than Hannah, as a married woman with small children, she writes with such humanity and compassion that she spans demographics. She brings us along her journey of growing up, putting down roots, and forging commitments (to herself, God, and her loved-ones), while gently pointing out the mile markers along the way. A joy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Matter Here.

Started Reading