Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)'s Reviews > The Last

The Last by Hanna Jameson

bookshelves: received-for-review, sci-fi

I recieved an e-ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It took me a while to get into this book, partly because I was expecting a typical post-apocalyptic/dystopian story and this book has so much more to it. In order to set the plot up properly there is a lot of time devoted to introducing the characters and letting the reader know the dynamics between the inhabitants of the hotel.

I initially stuggled with the idea that this book was only told from one person's point of view- Jon Keller an American Historian. I'm used to books like this having break-out short chapters which provide news about the outside world but in The Last, the reader is as cut-off as the guests trapped within the hotel. Once I got used to this lack of knowledge, I found myself falling headfirst into the book barely coming up for air.

The murder mystery plot worked incredibly well against the post-apocalytpic backdrop and left me feeling increasingly on-edge as Jon circled nearer and nearer to uncovering the truth.

Despite the sci-fi nature of the this book, I can't say that reading it was particularly an escape from stresses of life. In fact, it was fairly uncomfortable at time how closely the book mirrored the political climate of the world currently. Every so often I had the stark realisation that this fictional catastrophy wasn't actually that far-fetched of an idea, which was incredibly unnerving.

As far as the characters, I'm not sure that I actually liked any of them, but then again I'm not sure any of us would be the best version of ourselves at the end of the world. Still, I invested in their stories and even shed a few tears for them. I wanted them to find a way to start rebuilding their lives and living happily.

The conclusion of the book tied up the murder mystery plot well, which I was pleased about. As I neared the end of the story I was concerned we were running out of pages to resolve that plot and it would have been easy to leave it unresolved.

If post-apocalytic dystopian reads are your thing I would definitely recommend The Last. It has a feel of the Walking Dead about it, but the writing is much more accomplished and subtle. It is a scarily believable imagining of what might happen to civilisation if a nuclear war broke out on this scale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last.

November 24, 2018 – Started Reading
November 24, 2018 – Shelved
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: received-for-review
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tony (new) - added it

Tony Talbot Thanks for the review..,added it to my TBR!