Susanne Strong's Reviews > Roomies

Roomies by Christina Lauren

bookshelves: buddy-read, rom-com

4 Stars.

What Happens when you talk to your Crush for the First Time Ever? Instant Marriage? No Way. Way!

Meet Holland: Everyday she goes to the Fiftieth Street Station in Manhattan to listen to a musician who plays guitar there most days and nights. She absolutely loves his sound. His looks don’t hurt either. She is crushing hard till one day she actually works up the courage to talk to him after a drunken night out with her best friend Lulu. Turns out his name is Calvin, he’s Irish and he’s even sexier up close.

When Holland’s Uncle Robert gets in a jam with his Broadway show and needs an addition to his cast, Holland has a solution. Audition Calvin. Of course, he gets the job. The only problem? He is an illegal immigrant. Enter Holland’s solution to marry the guy. It’s almost an afterthought in her mind. After all, her Uncle Robert and his husband Jeff practically raised her and she feels it’s the least she can do for them. Who knew it’d be so hard to be around the guy she’s been drooling after for six months?

Meet Calvin: Juilliard trained, music is his life. Playing in the subway and in bands, he always imagined that he’d be making it big by now, life, however doesn’t always turn out the way you think it will. When he gets the chance to be on Broadway he takes it, hoping it could be advantageous for both he and Holland.

So, “Roomies” it is. Can this relationship possibly work? With a girl like Holland who has crushed on this guy for ages and a guy like Calvin whose motives Holland can’t quite trust? What can I say except for the fact that there are sparks, some sweetness, witty banter and wild energy that makes you wonder.

What started out slow, grew into a delightful story between the unlikeliest of pairs, who I couldn’t help but root for. There were no “cover my eye” moments, which for me, was a plus! Christina Lauren’s “Roomies” is an endearing, fun and super fast read. Truth be told, it made me want to believe. If only these situations actually happened in real life. Maybe at the Car Wash or the DMV. BAAH!

If you’re looking for a light, fun read that will take you out of the doldrums, this is it.

This was a buddy read with Kaceey!!

Published on Goodreads on 11.26.18.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roomies.

November 12, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
November 24, 2018 – Started Reading
November 24, 2018 – Shelved
November 24, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-read
November 24, 2018 –
page 245
November 24, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 27, 2018 – Shelved as: rom-com

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Wonderful review!

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you are enjoying reading this author’s work, Susanne ;) Wonderful review!! 🎄❤️🎄

Kaceey Fantastic review Susanne! This was such a fun read!! I love our rom com weekends!🤗💕

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Awesome review, Susanne! You have me looking forward to reading this!

Susanne  Strong Jayme wrote: "Wonderful review!"

Thanks Jayme!

Susanne  Strong KAS wrote: "Glad you are enjoying reading this author’s work, Susanne ;) Wonderful review!! 🎄❤️🎄"

Thanks so much KAS! Who would think I’d be reading so many rom coms? 😂 😆

Susanne  Strong Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Susanne! This was such a fun read!! I love our rom com weekends!🤗💕"

I LOVE that you coined the phrases “our rom com weekends!” How fun is that! I loved our reads too. And these are SO great! :)

Susanne  Strong Debra wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne! You have me looking forward to reading this!"

YEAH! So glad Debra! These are so fun! Totally what is needed for a stress reliever!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Great review, Susanne! :)

Susanne  Strong Jaline wrote: "Great review, Susanne! :)"

Thank you Jaline!

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Exceptional review, Susanne!

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Nice review Susanne, sounds a sweet read 😍

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Gosh, Christina Lauren is everywhere now!!! This one looks fab—so glad you and Kaceey enjoyed your buddy read!!

message 14: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Susanne. Will keep it in mind when in the need of a lighter read.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Wonderful review, Susanne!! 💖

message 16: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Lol, love your review Susanne! Glad you enjoyed!

Susanne  Strong Paula wrote: "Exceptional review, Susanne!"

Thanks Paula!

Susanne  Strong Sandra wrote: "Nice review Susanne, sounds a sweet read 😍"

Thank you so much Sandra! It was!

Susanne  Strong Mackenzie - PhDiva Books wrote: "Gosh, Christina Lauren is everywhere now!!! This one looks fab—so glad you and Kaceey enjoyed your buddy read!!"

LOL Kenzie! They kind of are! :)

message 20: by Susanne (last edited Nov 27, 2018 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susanne  Strong Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Susanne. Will keep it in mind when in the need of a lighter read."

Thank Angela! Glad to hear that!

Susanne  Strong Julie wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne!! 💖"

Thanks Julie!

Susanne  Strong Meredith wrote: "Lol, love your review Susanne! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks Meredith!

message 23: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko I need to read this one! Great review, Susanne! <3

message 24: by Prashasti (new)

Prashasti Amazing review! Goes right away to my tbr!

message 25: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Awesome review Susanne! I wanna read this one too! Glad y’all enjoyed it 😊🌺

Susanne  Strong Mischenko wrote: "I need to read this one! Great review, Susanne! <3"

Yeah!! SO glad you've added it to your list Mischenko! It was fun!

Susanne  Strong Prashasti wrote: "Amazing review! Goes right away to my tbr!"

Woo hoo Prashasti! Glad to hear it! I hope you love it too!

Susanne  Strong Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Awesome review Susanne! I wanna read this one too! Glad y’all enjoyed it 😊🌺"

I'm so glad Suzy! These books are so fun! I think all of us are going to read all of them pretty soon. :)

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly  B So happy to see your reading a new fav. author Susanne! Fantastic review!

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "So happy to see your reading a new fav. author Susanne! Fantastic review!"

Thanks Holly! Yes, we are branching out to rom coms.. It's such a fun departure! :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thank goodness for authors like this, Sus! They can cheer anyone up! Wonderful review! Xoxo

Susanne  Strong Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Thank goodness for authors like this, Sus! They can cheer anyone up! Wonderful review! Xoxo"

Right?! The winter doldrums have hit hard... these have helped a lot! :).

message 33: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulous review!!💖😉

Susanne  Strong Kat wrote: "Fabulous review!!💖😉"

thanks so much Kat1

message 35: by Cheri (new)

Cheri What a magically delicious review, Susanne! Sounds sweet, and good enough to summon some holiday cheer!

Susanne  Strong Cheri wrote: "What a magically delicious review, Susanne! Sounds sweet, and good enough to summon some holiday cheer!"

That is a great way to describe it Cheri! :)

message 37: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wonderful review, Susanne 💖

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly Great review :D

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fabulous review, Susanne! So glad that you enjoyed it.

Susanne  Strong Felicia wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne 💖"

Thanks Felicia!

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "Great review :D"

Thank you Holly! :)

Susanne  Strong Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fabulous review, Susanne! So glad that you enjoyed it."

Thank you so much Mary Beth!

message 43: by JanB (new)

JanB NO! Friends don;t let friends meet a guy at the DMV - what a scary place, lol😱 In all seriousness this sounds like a fun read, I'm glad you enjoyed it 💕😊

message 44: by sue (new)

sue Glad you enjoyed this Susanne❤️

Susanne  Strong JanB wrote: "NO! Friends don;t let friends meet a guy at the DMV - what a scary place, lol😱 In all seriousness this sounds like a fun read, I'm glad you enjoyed it 💕😊"

Baah!!! You are so Funny!! And of course again YOU are the only one who picked up on my comment!!! So Kaceey and I joked after reading the book that the scenario would never happen (you know I am not a hopeless romantic and I don't believe in these things) and she said, well heck, perhaps it could happen at the DMV.. and I said, ha, no, well, maybe at the Car Wash..) and so I just had to put that in my review..

Let me just say that I LOVE that you are the one that grabbed it and ran with it. Love you! :)

Susanne  Strong sue wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this Susanne❤️"

Thanks so much Sue!! :)

message 47: by JanB (new)

JanB Susanne wrote: "JanB wrote: "NO! Friends don;t let friends meet a guy at the DMV - what a scary place, lol😱 In all seriousness this sounds like a fun read, I'm glad you enjoyed it 💕😊"

Baah!!! You are so Funny!! A..."

Susanne, whew...I'm so relieved you won't be hanging out at the DMV 🤣🤣🤣 That's too funny....!!!

message 48: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Great review- I started it - but got bored (shhhh)
and enjoyed other books I was reading - and returned back to them.
But I still have a couple weeks left from the library - maybe I’ll pick it up again ( depends).... lol
Xoxo

Susanne  Strong Elyse wrote: "Great review- I started it - but got bored (shhhh)
and enjoyed other books I was reading - and returned back to them.

I completely understand Elyse! We almost gave up in the beginning because we felt the same way... but right around the 80- 100 page mark it got really good.. and we were so glad we stuck with it.. Not sure if it'd be worth it to you to try again but if you get the inclination.. ?? It gets so much better!

message 50: by Jen (new)

Jen Terrific review, Susanne!

« previous 1