Melissa Railey's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

2620090
Jan 11, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Fifteen year old June is a prodigy in the Republic - an area once known as the western coast of the United States. She's quickly making her way up the military ranks and destined to be a star. Day is her exact opposite. He's a renegade and the Republic's most wanted criminal. Then, one day June's brother is murdered and Day is the prime suspect. This leads June on a personal mission to find and capture Day; but, once she does, she learns that they might not be as different as they seem and Day just might not be the hardened criminal he's painted as.

My sister ordered me to read this book right now. She told me it was wonderful and unputdownable. She described it as part The Hunger Games, part Divergent and then a little something else. She was right. It's a great book. It has those echoes of YA dystopian literature that's so popular right now but it's different. This book is told in alternating viewpoints between June and Day and it works better than almost any book I've read that switches narrators. In the physical sense, the font changes with the characters so it makes it easier to make that mental switch because you actually see the change. June and Day are well developed and very sympathetic. Even if you are tired of all the dystopian literature, read this one. It's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Marie Lu
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.”
Marie Lu, Legend

Marie Lu
“You should have taken me with you," I whisper to him. Then I lean my head against his and begin to cry. In my mind, I make a silent promise to my brother's killer.

I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie, cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine.”
Marie Lu, Legend