Laura's Reviews > Teedie: The Story of Young Teddy Roosevelt

1351942
Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, nonfiction, biography, children-s, picture
Read in January, 2012

A very well done picture book about Teddy Roosevelt's early life. The illustrations are charming and complement the feel and text of the story. Teedie's childhood is presented clearly and honestly. Don Brown identifies Roosevelt's family as wealthy and describes Teedie's privilege. The book only makes mention of one or two of Roosevelt's adult accomplishments. It does, however, demonstrate that hard work, determination, and focus can lead to independence and accomplishment.

Be careful in presenting this as a biography to students. Traditional elementary school biography projects require that students have accurate information about their subject's adult life. This is a fine selection to use but students need to understand that it is not comprehensive or sufficient as a single source.

I also wish that a little bit more attention had been paid to Roosevelt's love of the outdoors and his creation of our national parks.

Finally, I appreciate the author's note and bibliography. Highly recommended for grades 2 (as a read aloud through 5 (as a complement to social studies lessons).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teedie.