Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*'s Reviews > The Collector

The Collector by Fiona Cummins

EXCERPT: Detective Sergeant Etta Fitzroy. Her name rolls across his tongue. He conjures up her face, the opposing colors of her eyes. An eye for an eye. His fingers twitch.

Seven bones surround the orbital cavity. He wonders if they will splinter and break when he presses her eye from its socket.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: The Collector by Fiona Cummins is the gripping sequel to Rattle.

Jakey escaped with his life and moved to a new town. His rescue was a miracle but his parents know that the Collector is still out there, watching, waiting…

Clara, the girl he left behind, is clinging to the hope that someone will come and save her.

Life has fallen apart for Clara's mother as she starts to lose hope.

The Bone Collector has a new apprentice to take over his family's legacy. But he can't forget the boy who got away and the detective who had destroyed his dreams.

Detective Etta Fitzroy's life collapsed when the Collector escaped. With Clara still missing, and a new wave of uncannily similar murders beginning, will she be able to find him again?

The Collector is back and this time he has nothing to lose . . .

MY THOUGHTS: I was left breathless. I basically read The Collector in one sitting, interrupted only by the hours I was at work, and even then I read in my breaks.

I went cold into The Collector. I had not read Rattle. I had it on order, hoping to read it before I started The Collector. But I was almost finished before Rattle arrived. Not to worry. There was enough background information to give the reader some idea of what had happened, but not so much as to spoil it for those of us reading the first book after the second. Rattle is sitting on my bedside table ready to go.

The Collector is extremely well written. It is dark and deliciously creepy. I recommend you read it with all the lights on, and doors and windows locked. The author generates, then maintains, a high level of suspense. There is not one extraneous word in the book. The chapters are short and to the point. The characters are well crafted, their back stories cleverly woven into the fabric of the plot.

I am looking forward to more from this author. In the meantime, I have thrown my reading schedule out the window and am off to be Rattled!

😨😨😨😨😨 Definitely in my top ten books of 2018.

THE AUTHOR: Fiona Cummins is an award-winning former Daily Mirror showbusiness journalist and a graduate of the Faber Academy Writing A Novel course. She lives in Essex with her family. Rattle is her first novel.

DISCLOSURE: A huge and heartfelt 'thank you' to Kensington Books via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of The Collector by Fiona Cummins for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system. This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector.

November 23, 2018 – Shelved
December 24, 2018 – Shelved as: crime
December 24, 2018 – Shelved as: serial-killer-thriller
December 24, 2018 – Shelved as: suspense
December 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Great review Sandy. That's a nice accolade that you couldn't stand to put the book down. (That hasn't happened to me in a long time.) 😊🎄🌷

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) This is on my list! The more reviews I see pop up for it, the more I feel like it's one I MUST read. Fab review Sandy. You have made me want to get my hands on it even more now.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Great review.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Barbara wrote: "Great review Sandy. That's a nice accolade that you couldn't stand to put the book down. (That hasn't happened to me in a long time.) 😊🎄🌷"

Thanks Barbara. I hope it happens to you soon. Merry Christmas! 💕📚

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "This is on my list! The more reviews I see pop up for it, the more I feel like it's one I MUST read. Fab review Sandy. You have made me want to get my hands on it even more now."

Definitely recommended Bern. But if you can, read Rattle first! Merry Christmas 💕📚

Jaidee (Away from Goodreads until Feb 2...happy reading) Looking forward to reading about your year in review to get a glance at all your top reads !

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Wow! Brilliant review Sandy 🎅🎄🎅🎄

message 8: by Jean (new)

Jean Ooh! Must be pretty - creepy? if you recommend locking the doors and windows! I always enjoy reading your thoughts, Sandy.