Ishita's Reviews > Elmet

Elmet by Fiona Mozley

liked it
bookshelves: audio-books

3.5/5

This turned out to be a "I liked it but.." kind of book for me - It is easy to see why this book - Mozley's debut - made it to the #manbookerprize shortlist last year. It is gritty and raw in it's exploration of base survirval instincts, land ownership and conventional gender roles and identities. But I wanted to know more - about the characters' backgrounds - because there is so much of heavy-hinting about "what-was" that it easily set the ground for a prequel. There isn't much of a plot or closure - it is completely character-driven - with rich and evocative descriptions of nature and living off the land. That pretty much sums up the question this book bases its plot on - "Whose land is it anyway?" - The ones who wrap swathes of wilderness into legal documents? Or the people who have lived there for years and KNOW the land - its trees, woods, birds and everything that makes it feel like a living, breathing entity. An entity that commands respect beyond sheets of paper.
Honestly, I felt a bit conflicted about certain questions raised - because my world-view is shaped by my experiences as a city-dweller. But, I guess that's why this book made for such a compelling read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elmet.

November 22, 2018 – Started Reading