Anne Milne's Reviews > The Man I Can't Have

The Man I Can't Have by Shanora Williams

Call me superficial but the moment I saw this cover I knew it was a book I wanted to read and title and synopsis intrigued me further.

I truly believe that this is a book that's best to go in blind. Shanora has given her readers a multi layered story that at first looks like your typical bored housewife book. Gabby newly married and in a new home hires Marcel to redesign her garden and the lines between them become blurred.

I found Gabby a fascinating character to read about. On the outside she comes across as young and naive but you get glimpses of her strength of character. Marcel as you find out in the prologue is a man who has endured unimaginable pain in his past. The man we meet comes across as gruff, rude and unapproachable.

This is a rollercoaster of a book emotionally, it's sexy, it's poignant and the angst is off the charts. I read this book twice the second time I was looking for little clues I was sure I missed. As it's a duet I knew we had to be building to something but no way did I predict that cliffhanger ending. Honestly book two can't come soon enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man I Can't Have.

November 22, 2018 – Shelved