Clifton's Reviews > Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live

Live from New York by James Andrew Miller

M 50x66
Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from January 11 to 12, 2012

I'm almost to the end of this book. It was a present for Christmas and I love it. I grew up on SNL. It was my Saturday night baby sitter for a lot of my childhood. With the exception of a few interjections from the authors the book is pretty much just interview pieces from former cast members, hosts, writers and executives from NBC.

I loved the cast that was on SNL when I started watching. Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, etc. The cast and the sketches of that era probably shaped a lot of what my humor is today. As I got older I enjoyed the new casts that would come in and do the show. But, until I read this book I really didn't have as much of an appreciation for the early days of the show as I should have. Not just the comedy that the show was putting on the air, but the effort it took to get on.

It is kind of funny to read the end of the book now. It seems to cut off when Tina Fey was the head writer and Jimmy Fallon was still on the show. A few of the cast members from then talk about what the show has done/will do for their careers. Some were right and others were way off.

I was surprised that I've been so interested in the sections about Lorn Michaels. It's pretty impressive that he has been doing this for so long and still somehow makes it all work.

If you’re a fan of SNL do yourself a favor and read this. It's an easy read and pretty fun.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live from New York.

08/04/2016 marked as: currently-reading