Marjory WIldcraft's Reviews > Turned Earth: A Jack Broccoli Novel

Turned Earth by David The Good

Read 2 times. Last read November 21, 2018.

Book Review “Turned Earth – A Jack Broccoli Novel” by David The Good

Marjory WIldcraft from The Grow Network

I am more than a little envious that David The Good has created a while new genre of writing: the garden thriller. We definitely need more stories like this! And if you only need one reason to read this book - the tale did make me feel proud to be a gardener.

The story focuses around an unlikely hero, Jack Brocolli, who is a single young man working at a soil testing lab. There has been a string of very bizarre deaths of prominent soil scientists and agriculture industry executives around the world. Jack unwittingly stumbles (and often fumbles) his way into a web of International intrigue when he and his boss are targeted by a radical farming cult

Who keeps killing soil scientists? If you dare to ask, you may end up as the next corpse to disappear into the Earth as compost. Jack’s entire life is turned upside-down as he’s forced into a terrifying world of international agro-industrial intrigue.

David, the author did an excellent job in development of Jack’s character in the book. I appreciated how much Jack’s love of growing things came shining through even with all the other things a young man is interested in such as fighting, and girls. Like many of us at The Grow Network, Jack is also bit of a botany freak and I really appreciated those small botanical tangents the book took us on.

At times, the story got a little too fantastical for my tastes. I mean why not simply use a Glok 19 to do the killing instead of a soil sampling tool? But hey, I get it, this is a agricultural themed book. I also felt Jack abandoned his turnip patch a shade too easily… but I am quibbling here.

You may already be familiar with David the Good’s humorous style and there were more than a few places when I laughed out loud while reading the book. I know you will get more than a few good chuckles simply from the names David chose for his characters.

Overall it was a really fun story to read and made me feel proud to be a gardener.

I hear that David the Good is finishing up the sequel to this novel and there could possibly be a third in the series. I highly recommend picking up a copy of “Turned Earth” and I am very excited to read the next adventure that Jack gets involved in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turned Earth.

Finished Reading