Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > What Looks Like Crazy

What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes

bookshelves: contemp-realistic-adult, adult

Initial Impressions 5/23/12: This was a lot better than I expected it to be! It was super cute. I really liked Kate Holly's character and all the wacky patients she sees. Even though she's going through the divorce with her (soon to be ex) husband Jay Rush, I'm totally for them getting back together! Kate's worried about his constant run-in with burning buildings (well, he IS a firefighter) and I think Charlotte Hughes wants everyone to root for them - She portrayed Jay as a great husband, someone with a serious connection with Kate, and totally handsome; he just happens to love his very dangerous job. I also really liked Mona's character - I love her sass and tell-it-like-it-is mentality. Overall, I say more like 4.5 stars since it pleasantly surprised me!

Full review as originally posted on The Book Addict's Guide: I really enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would! It was a very quick read with Kate Holly being a really likable character for me. For what it's worth, trust your husband to do his job and stick it out because I cannot believe she would even consider letting Jay out of her life! He seemed like a great husband with a great connection to Kate and great looks don't hurt either. He was extremely likable as well, and I think Charlotte Hughes wrote it so that you want to root for Kate and Jay to stay together.

Kate's friend and assistant Mona is a real kick! She's rich and sassy and somehow down-to-earth all at the same time. She was a great person to sort of stick it to Kate and tell it like it is no matter what and a nice comic relief as well! And also a great new friend in Mike the dog, who becomes a big part of the story as well.

Funny to see all the wacky patients Kate has to deal with and also some nice and touching moments with her helping as well. Lots of Plum-esque moments with the goofy patient moments (a la Stephanie and her FTAs). I know Charlotte Hughes and Janet Evanovich teamed up for a few works (which I have yet to read, but do own a few!), so it made perfect sense and I'm really glad it felt so similar since I love Stephanie Plum.

Oh, and I forgot to say, as an almost Psych minor (what does that count for, right?), it was nice to see that the diagnoses for the patients were relatively accurate. A lot of times in books or TV shows, people just throw terms out there and they're way off, but from the little knowledge that I retained from all my Psych classes, even if there were some really uncommon cases in there, at least the descriptions were accurate (or accurate enough for me)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Looks Like Crazy.

January 11, 2012 – Shelved