Seth's Reviews > Life after Death

Life after Death by Jackson Paul Baer

20382085

This is the second book in the "Life after Death" series. I absolutely loved the first one and although I was a little bias because so much of the story takes place in my hometown, I still stand by my thoughts of how much I loved the story. The first book kind of sets the stage for this book and without the first to build it up, this book might not stand on its own. But the two of them together are simply brilliant. This book takes us from where we left off from the traumatic experiences of the first book and takes us in a totally different direction. Now we really begin to see some fantastic character development. The author takes a very messy storyline and begins to weave that together into a marvelous infrastructure of family and lives that touch each other, and are affected by each other's decisions. One thing that I really appreciate is that the author does not take the easy way out with these stories. To be fair he is also the one who created the harsh realities that these characters live in, but he did not disappoint in how he dealt with it. So many times it would have been easy to just wrap up this story with a nice little bow and make everything fit all neat and tidy. That is not what happened. Instead the author took those harsh realities and crafted intricate characters out of each of them. I am a sucker for good character development, and this book did not disappoint in that matter at all. So ultimately do I recommend this book? Well yes absolutely I do, but only if you are reading this after you read the first one. This book needs the setup of book one to give it legs to stand on. The context that you find from reading the first book is integral to the plot and makeup of this story. These 2 books create a perfect 1-2 punch. So my one star I took away is not because I did not like it, but because I do feel strongly that it needs the first book. As a combo I give it 5 stars with no question. but as a single work I give it 4.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life after Death.

November 21, 2018 – Started Reading