Celeste Batchelor's Reviews > Education of a Wandering Man

Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour

Jan 11, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed large portions of this book. L'Amoir only includes a short book list at the end. All the other books he mentions throughout the book. I wish he had just made a huge master list and put it in the back of the book to make referencing easier on the reader. Not that I plan to follow his list myself, but just as a neat look at what he studied over his lifetime. I wish I could look at his personal library. His history knowledge is quite extensive! I will probably never read quite that much Eastern history, but it good to know it is out there if I felt the need. What I gained the most from this book is his deep Love of Learning. He read for the sheer joy of learning what he didn't know, and like so many others, learned he had so much more to learn. I do wonder about the reasons why he left home at age 15 to be a wanderer. He doesn't say, but very few young people do that without a painful reason.

I could see so much of his generation in this book. My grandfather was roughly the same age, also fighting in WWII. There are similarities in their thoughts, mannerisms, and work ethic that made me think of my grandfather and feel close to him again. That was a really nice unexpected bonus. I highly recommend this book. It is a very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Education of a Wandering Man.

January 11, 2012 – Shelved
January 21, 2015 – Started Reading
January 22, 2015 –
page 22
8.09% "Oh. My. Word. I am already in awe of this book."
February 4, 2015 –
page 162
59.56% "This book is a pretty fascinating read. I find it interesting that a boy who dropped out of school at 15 became one of the most well-known and loved writers of his time."
February 21, 2015 – Finished Reading