Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > Swimmer Boy

Swimmer Boy by Jay Argent

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2019

Triggers: homophobia, bullying

This is a hard one to review, namely because I hate writing more.. negative reviews on own-voice books and this is one of those.

Swimmer Boy follows two guys, one of which is gay and the other assumes he's straight but starts discovering and realizing otherwise.

The idea of this novel is definitely one I totally love; the actual story is one I applaud but the execution was extremely lacking in my opinion.

Conversations felt forced, unnecessary drama was added all the time and the writing style simply wasn't to my liking. It felt too studied and I couldn't really lose myself in the story like I expect to when it comes to contemporary reads.
There's also a bit of a focus on the physical aspect and one character drooling over the other that felt a bit too much for me, but I can see how it would be realistic so I'm leaving that one in the middle.

All in all I'm glad I read the story, but this could be so much more than it is right now.

2 / 5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swimmer Boy.

November 21, 2018 – Shelved
November 21, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-etbr
January 27, 2019 – Started Reading
January 28, 2019 –
52.0% "Eh. Not liking this. Characters are too flat / one-dimensional; conversations feel forced; added drama over nothing and.. well.. VERY flat characters."
January 28, 2019 –