Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > The Prep and the Punk

The Prep and the Punk by Imogene Kash

bookshelves: read-in-2019, releases-2018

I could start, once again, by talking about the writing but that's not the reason why I wanted to share my review on The Prep and the Punk with you. Although the writing is very fluent and makes you want to read on and on, the main thing I loved about this story is the diversity.

Yes, it's a queer romance. Both main characters - of which we get the POV's too - are gay. Even better, the side characters all seem to be part of the LGBTQIA+-family as well! I'm saying seem since there's some questioning rep going on there as well, which is something we rarely see in books. I pretty much started applauding once I found out - the baby did not like.

When it comes to the characters and their relationships.. I truly didn't expect to like them all so much. Sure, I had one huge issue - more about that later on - but I totally loved how Bash and Edge's chemistry, their bond evolved and grew throughout the story. They stumbled, fell and picked themselves back up. They had to fight one another, themselves and others to get where they wanted to be and I thought that beautiful.
So, even though there was a whole lot of detailed smut, it didn't take away from the story at all! And that, in my book, is worth mentioning since other smutty books tend to lose themselves in all the sex and stop caring about the actual story, the characters and their feelings. That didn't happen here.

It wasn't weak to ask for support. It didn't make me a failure to need someone to lean on occasionally.

Like I said, there's one thing I really, really didn't like and that's.. Bash. He was supposed to be my favorite character. A tattooed, gay boy finding his way in an all boys school? Oh, and pierced, sassy and bad-ass! Let's not forget about that! I could totally see him becoming one of my favorite characters ever. That is, until he turned into a big puddle of Edge-loving goo overnight and totally lost his bad boy vibes. I honestly didn't like that, couldn't like that and.. got annoyed by it? I can get bad boys having a gooey center and being softies once you get to know them but the change was so sudden and his entire bad boy-vibe disappeared entirely.. It felt wrong? And I hated it because I really wanted to like every single aspect of this book!

If you're into smut and you don't mind reading an M/M romance set in high school, you'll definitely want to pick this one up! Although I had that one issue with this book, I still ended up loving it so, so much and cannot wait to read more about those characters in the future!

4.5 / 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prep and the Punk.

November 21, 2018 – Shelved