Mindi's Reviews > The Reading Buddy

The Reading Buddy by Bryce Gibson

it was ok

The Reading Buddy starts off strong. Gibson has a tension filled opening that sets up the rest of the story, and I was immediately pulled in. Then the connection to the title is revealed, and the book slows down a bit, but you expect things to get seriously creepy. And Gibson starts off with a good premise.

Blake Thomas is haunted by his best friend's murder. He goes to live with his father in Georgia after the events of his friend's death leave him with PTSD. He has also developed intense social anxiety, so his therapist recommends that he try a social media site called The Reading Buddy. The goal is to make a friend online to read books with in order to give him the confidence he needs to begin making friends again in the real world. I'm still intrigued at this point. As an avid reader, and knowing this is a horror novel, I was ready for some serious psycho reading buddy action. Instead, Gibson veers off in a totally different direction with the story that left me scratching my head and wishing he had continued with the original story thread.

At this point the story becomes rather convoluted and a bit messy. If you think too hard about everything that happens once you finish the book, quite a bit of it doesn't really add up. And I was really bummed over the ending. I mean, by this point the story had almost totally abandoned the original plot line, but then I was even more disappointed. If Gibson had left out the new plot direction entirely, and focused more on the reading buddy storyline, I think this could have been quite good. Instead, it loses its focus and starts to wander into an odd territory.

I think Gibson has some really good ideas here, but they kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reading Buddy.

November 20, 2018 – Started Reading