Turquoise's Reviews > Epic Fail

Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

Before reading this review, please remember that this is my opinions on Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik, and I respect any comment on this book and this review.

Also, I wrote this the day after reading it, but the same day I read another modern YA adaption of Pride and Prejudice, so I may confuse the two.

Elise and Juliana arrived to a new school for rich and famous kids with their new principle mother and maths teacher father. Immediately outcasted from other obnoxious students, Elise stuck with her sister, who caught Chase's eyes. So much so hase, his best friend, Derek, and his sister/Derek's biggest fan, Chelsea, started to hang out with them. Despite Elise's determination that all students were spoil brats, she and Derek enjoyed each other's refreshing company, until Webster came along. Elise fell for his charm and humor, giving him all her trust. Curious of Derek and Webster sudden change of behavior whenever they saw each other, Elise got an answer from Derek that their childhood friendship ended when Derek went insane over Webster and his sister's romance.

Convinced by his story, Elise thought adamantly that Derek was a snob. Her friendship with Webster grew stronger as that with Derek ceased to exist. Then Derek lied to her about being sick to attend a party with her, Elise decided that maybe Derek's relentless warning could be the truth, that she might have judged them wrongly.

Needless to elaborate the obvious reminscents between this and Jane Austen's masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice, even the first letter of their names resembled those to P&P. I am not going to compare these two, I mean, its P&P we are talking about, unless Epic Fail is going to appear on the top 100 21st century books list, which was less than unlikable, as the name suggested, Epic Fail, get it? Epic... Never mind.

I keed, it was very unfair to compare, though. Nevertheless, I am still going to write about how well LaZabnik did in creating a whole new set of character corresponding to those to the Grandma chick-lit.

I have no idea why Elise and Derek were a couple. Why was he attracted to her? The first time they had a proper conversation was when they talked about Oscar Wilde because, of course, NO ONE in the entire upper-class school knew a shrill about the famous author, they could only relate to each other regarding any matter clever. The next thing I knew, they were having some alone time playing ping pong with his hand covering hers. Something must have happened between these two incidents as I can find nothing more than insults and smirks they threw to each other; their IQ and cynical remarks were two of their few common features that could persuasively lead to a life-long friendship, but not a romance. Even if Derek was appealed to Elise, she was a pain in the backside whenever he spoke of anything relating to money or warned her against Webster. Again and again she said something insulting, and Derek still came back and talk to her. Was he that in need of a friend that he would do anything you could to keep her including tormenting jibes and cold-shoulders.

Why was his name Webster Grant? I was mildly obsessed with dictionaries, so I fell in love with him the moment he said his name. Seriously, I laughed for like 6 minutes until a classmate complained it was giving her a headache. I rooted for him through the entire first 100 pages right before he proved himself to be a psychopath.

I knew Elizabeth Bennet was constantly rebuffing anything Mr. Darcy said, but the difference between Elise and her was that Elizabeth had more evidence to dislike him, while Elise was more like blind. When Derek told her about Webster's lies, she did not listen. Fine. She did not trust a proud stranger, I will give her that. Then her older sister Juliana tried to talk reson with her, what did she do? Nothing. She would rather trust the word of a boy that was nice to her than that of her sister? All right, she was love drunk. After that, Webster lied to her and his deeds were revealed, he made up some lame excuse that technically was too amiral to be called 'excuse', Elise still believed that he was right, every one else were bad. She wanted to convince me that she was bright like Miss Bennet, she could not even make one decision without causing further trouble, let alone being branded as intelligent and mature.

I have already established that Derek was a relentless masochist that should really find a shrink to cure his ultra-ego and rejection addiction. I could not imagine a school with approximately 2 thousand students including staff would all be so vile and money-lust that he was relieved and suddenly attracted to her. I am ot saying that he was a horrible person for assuming the worst of people and being a whine baby all the time and even more brooding and pained than Edward Cullen.

Epic Fail's plot surrounded too much on Juliana and Chase's relationship, whatever Derek and Elise did always have something to do with them or was the reaction for their action. He was a very sweet and loving character (not Juliana, I'll get to you later sweetheart), though they had totally opposite best friend or sister. However, they were only supporting characters, despite interesting their plotline was, the rest of the book could not be too reliable on this, or ruled completely by it. I know, I know, P&P also spent quite a number of pages on it, but all Elise and Juliana talked about was how great she was with Chase, how he looked at her, how sweet he was, yade-yade-yada... It was not until later when Derek and Elise were finally a couple did they have some alone time together and talked about something non-exam related or J&C related. By the way, in the few pages where the attention of the sister's relationship was on Elise, she was a downright bitch and self-absorbed that thought she was the romance guru, when she was as clueless in that as she could be. She kept telling Elise that she should believe Derek when she did not know what happen. No one did, except for him, Webster, Chase and their families, Elise would usually turn the subject back to her relationship status so loudly, she might act reluctant for exactly 0.2 second, and she would gladly mumble how awesome Chase was without considering her dearest sister's relationship downfall. What a caring and considerate sister I would KILL to have.

In When Harry Met Sally, the best-friends-turned-lovers also helped matchmaking their best friends, though that took at most 10 minutes in the movie, that was very entertaining and it implied that Harry and Sally had not so platonic feelings for each other. It greatly improved their relationship and was useful for future events shown, not ruled the rest of it, much like this book did.

1.5 love notes ot of five. Epic Fail was an enjoyable, yet plain and unoriginal adaption of a well-known book that had been remade one too many times. I sincerely hope there could be a YA adaption that put in new ideas of the modern society to the class discrimination, maybe put intelligence in money's place, then they would have a similar, yet entirely new story that grasp our attention.

Now that I think about it, a book summary about a male genius and a female idiot falling in love was used in a Taiwanese TV series called It Started With A Kiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epic Fail.

Akiel This was a really bad book out jus ended without solving the plot.....well I guess,, its good derek and ellise got together and overcame their problems but I thought the plot was kind of that webster situation with Gwithout but she jus came back and the book ended.....thats so stupid......last time I ever read a contemporary book.....total,turn off I'll stock to my usual genre....ughhhh I wasted 6 hrs reading this........6 hrs!!!...so pissed!!

Akiel This book was a epic fail!!

Turquoise Totally agree. This book presents typical flop in young adult contemporary romance novels, the reason why people deem them as mature when they haven't even read them!