Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: death, family-stories, romance, young-adult
Read from January 12 to 15, 2012

Full disclosure -- I am a John Green fanatic! I have read every one of his books, follow him on Facebook, watch the Vlogbrothers videos, and am a Nerdfighter (if you don't know what I'm talking about -- Google it!) In short, I'm a stalker! I pre-ordered The Fault in Our Stars last August and have been waiting for the January 10 release date with increasing anticipation. I purposefully did not read anything about the book, wanting to be surprised and delighted when I read it myself. I was not disappointed!

So, here's a non-spoiler review -- the cover tells you that the book is about teens with cancer (no spoiler there!) but what awaits you is a romance filled with all the elements we have come to love in John's books -- characters who are true to life, filled with all the heart and warmth and brilliance and wit that I wish I had now, much less possessed as a teen. One second you are laughing out loud, the next crying real tears -- tears of laughter, tears of sadness, and tears that reflect the heart and warmth and humor that are the hallmark of a John Green novel. Didn't I tell you I'm a fan/stalker?

READ THIS BOOK! In a world where "Twilight" and its wannabees have become the norm of young adult books, thank goodness for authors like Green and Laurie Halse Anderson and Suzanne Collins and Terry Trueman and Ellen Hopkins and Sharon Draper and more who are writing about real teens with real problems and doing it so well. These authors are writing with real emotions without being sappy, overblown, and manipulative. And John Green does it with humor and brilliance that will send you to your dictionary or encyclopedia to check out the literary, philosophical, art and historical references. If you loved Looking for Alaska, I know you will love The Fault in our Stars.

Quotes Diane Liked

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars