Ashley Houser's Reviews > I'll Never Tell

I'll Never Tell by Catherine McKenzie

4.5 stars!

Out June 1st! Pre-order from Amazon here!

Oh how I adore Catherine McKenzie. Last year when I read her novel, The Good Liar, I fell in love with her writing style. She writes captivating thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat with lots of twists and turns. So when I saw her next book, I'll Never Tell, was coming out I jumped at the chance to review it.

Twenty years ago at Camp Macaw, teenage Amanda was brutally attacked on the camp's "Back Beach" and was left for dead. Fast forward to present day and the five adult children of the camp owners (the McAllisters) descend upon the camp to memorialize their parents who tragically passed away. But they will be in for a surprise when their parent's will is read, forcing them to revisit that awful night of Amanda's attack and come to terms with their own pasts.

This one reminded me a ton of Riley Sager's fabulous The Last Time I Lied with the sinister summer camp feel. It also had an Agatha Christie-esque whodunnit style; one mystery, multiple suspects.

There were two things I really appreciated in this book:
1. The family dynamics were expertly crafted. There were a ton of layers to each of the relationships in this story (and there were a lot of relationships to unpack). It ended up giving the book more of a "slow burn" feel for me than your typical thriller/mystery but I was never bored. I was always waiting to see what happened next.
2. The way the story unfolded was perfect. Catherine McKenzie released the right amount of information at just the right times, peppering teasers throughout for the reader while not giving away all the secrets at once.

This is definitely a solid summer mystery for all you mystery lovers out there. It would make for a fantastic fireside, marshmallow-roasting, lake-swimming, trail-hiking summer camp read!

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and Catherine McKenzie for the opportunity to review.-
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Never Tell.

November 19, 2018 – Shelved
November 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 20, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
November 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
May 16, 2019 – Started Reading