Morgan's Reviews > Nocturna

Nocturna by Maya Motayne

liked it

2019 might end up being the year of disappointing books.

Nocturna was problematic yet I still found it entertaining, and I will admit that I enjoyed reading it. You might be wondering why such a low rating then? It's because I have a big problem with authors who take the exact story, plot, characters of a popular series that is loved by many. In this case, that series is A Darker Shade of Magic and Nocturna is a rip-off, water-downed version of ADSOM with a Latin element slapped on it.

To start, the characters in Nocturna are rough copies of Kell, Lila, and Rhys. Alfie is Kell, even to the extent that they both have a thing for illegal goods. Finn is Lila Bard, and Luka is Rhys. Luka is so similar to Rhys they both even had boyfriends that broke their heart at a young age resulting in Alfie/Kell being insanely protective of them. Crazy, right? Tiago might as well have been named Alucard.
The magic system is basically the same, Alfie even has a doorknob that allows him to walk through walls so long as he says a magical word and the dark villains come to power is the same way, doing pretty much the exact same thing to its victims. The two books even share an ending too: Lila Finn leaving on a boat!

And does this quote sound pretty familiar?
“Where will you go?” he asked, his voice soft and desperate. Finn wanted to bottle the sounds so that she might uncork it and listen to it whenever she needed a reason to smile. Or frown.”

Sounds pretty close to a quote from Kaz in Six of Crows, doesn't it?
“She'd laughed, and if he could have bottled the sound and gotten drunk on it every night, he would have. It terrified him.”

For the rest of the book? Poor worldbuilding, slow pacing, all the bad stuff.

It blows my mind that an author could bum this much off another authors work. I know that you will never be able to write a book that is completely original with the number of books out in the world today and I do believe that it is okay to pull a few elements for multiple books (so long as you are changing them enough) but Nocturna is unacceptable for the number of similarties it shares with A Darker Shade of Magic. I don't plan on continuing to support this author by reading the next book, but hey, you never know. I wouldn't waste your time with this book, go read the original, A Darker Shade of Magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nocturna.

November 18, 2018 – Shelved