penny shima glanz's Reviews > The Library Book

The Library Book by Susan Orlean

_The Library Book_ is part memoir, part history, part mystery. Orlean's exploration of the people at LAPL that day and her own connection to libraries is an enjoyable read. I had expected it to be more history and was surprised and eventually delighted to find the personal connection Orlean made to this topic. She captures the joy and love of libraries, and the mystery that is people and their motives. Some of the descriptions are full of detail -- I felt I was standing outside waiting for the library to open -- perhaps because I've had that experience. Other descriptions were beyond my imagination -- I still cannot believe Orlean went through the process to see what happens when a book burns. To my surprise, after a slow start these and many other descriptions have stayed with me since finishing my library book copy of _The Library Book_. Why? The netgalley eARC I received expired long before I finished. Please approach this book knowing that it's not hyper focused on any one specific aspect of the LA Library fire. It's a journey, much like any exploration of a library.

I received an eARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for a review. The FTC wants you to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Library Book.