Maria's Reviews > Claustrophilia

Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake

21963991

bookshelves: horror-suspense

** spoiler alert ** This isn't so much a review as it is a commentary. Chock full of spoilers no doubt so if you haven't read this? Buyer beware.

Funny how I grew so vested in these two, my hatred was palpable by the time the proverbial HEA rolls around, or whatever the hell that was, masochistic, cannibalistic, sadistic, bliss.

I thought Ivan was insane. Turns out he's not. Not at all. Was Mengele? Caligula? Nero? The SS? Nope. Fucking psychopaths to be sure who seriously got off on their proclivities. Some smart as hell. Brilliant and very, very, disturbed.

Chris. I felt his descent coming a mile away. I was hoping he would turn at the last moment, crack a smile and throw a blow torch at Ivan, watch him roast and then eat him, perhaps with some cheap barbecue sauce. Fitting. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Initially I felt sorry for Chris. The torture went on and on and on. It made me uncomfortable. The brutality. Ivan's creepiness. The scene where the molars are pulled really hit me as I have had molars pulled. I saw stars when the needles went in.

Playing with the dead didn't phase me as much, whether you're slicing and dicing or having sex or jacking to get off. Depraved indifference to be sure but it didn't bother me as much because they were dead. I believe the soul leaves the body and you're left with a shell, so knock yourself out Frick and Frack ... you are not getting their soul!

Now on to dinner. Chris and Ivan eat alot of people. You get the impression that Ivan has been dining this way a very long time. I'll admit I did some research before and during my reading. Is it because they don't eat alot of brain matter that they are not getting sick? Chris will fuck a brain but he won't take a bite out of it. Can't you get something along the lines of mad cow disease from all of this cannibalism and drinking blood? Bleh. Gross.

So sadistic ghoul grooms masochistic ghoul. Monsters in love.

And now there are two. Will Chris continue to follow Ivan? One leg, twisted fingers, missing teeth and lost humanity. Will there be more in store for Chris? Can the reader take more?

Will Chris turn on Ivan? Will Ivan fall? Ivan needs to fall into the pits of hell - after Chris eats his barbecue. Then, Chris can put his own head in the oven because he needs to go also.

I want to know where this is headed. I hope it's not more of the same only reworked. If so, I'm done.

Oddly, I'm not ready for it to be done.

Excellent writing by the way. I'm not a fan of time jumping but it didn't bother me here.

*****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claustrophilia.

November 18, 2018 – Shelved
November 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 23, 2019 – Started Reading
September 25, 2019 –
12.0% "Gives a whole new meaning to one of my favorites, Man In A Box, by Alice In Chains. Indeedee."
September 26, 2019 –
October 5, 2019 –
October 5, 2019 –
October 5, 2019 – Shelved as: horror-suspense
October 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Xia Xia Lake Welcome to the other side, Maria 😹✌️ Awesome review! This book is by no means for everyone, but the writing is amazing.

Jan  OMG! Your review brilliant, Maria! 😂🤣
Loved it 😊

Maria Thanks! Hard to really write a review though I suppose we could say something like this: The masterful use of prose when the melon baller went into the socket and, pop! Out the eyeball comes. The author's writing was descriptive and gorgeous. You literally feel every squishy squirm. By the end I no longer had the energy. 😂🦵👁🧠🦷🖐🔪🍽🥩🍷🎁

message 4: by Kat (new) - added it