Teri's Reviews > Reaper Man

Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

Jan 10, 2012

Read in January, 2012

What if Death took a vacation? Well, that was Pratchett's last book in his "Death" series, Mort, but Reaper Man picks up the story of Death when the keepers of the continuum (known as the Auditors of Reality) decide that Death isn't quite grim enough to be the Grim Reaper, and is therefore flawed and must be done away with. Death notices his own hourglass running low and running out of something he thought he'd never have a problem with: time. And he's going to spend it.

With Death enjoying his final days as a farmhand (he is a reaper, after all), no one is around to do his job of ushering souls into the next realm. So other Deaths begin to pop up: the Death of Rats, for example, and The Death of Trees, the Death of Mayflies to name a few. But without a proper Death of Humans around, no person can properly die. And there the antics begin.

I give this book five stars because I just can't bear giving a Death novel any less. Death is one of the best characters I've ever read in any series anywhere, and even if I didn't love all of the book, I loved the parts with him in it so much that it made up for anything I didn't.

Don't get me wrong; I also loved Windle Poons, Ridcully, and the other wizards running around Ankh-Morpork, though I'm not entirely sure I enjoyed that part of the story 100%. There's some strange stuff in the middle that passed from amusing, to absurd, to just weird, but the last quarter of the novel or so make up for that nonsense in spades.

In short, it wasn't really the book I was expecting, and so some of that I found disappointing. But, as I'm quickly becoming to realize, Terry Pratchett has a way of taking his ridiculous fantasies and communicating ideas of such depth that every book I've finished of his I can honestly say has changed me in some way. It may just be a conversation or a paragraph, but it's worth reading the entire book just for that little bit of enlightenment. Sure you can look up the quotes on Wikiquote, but you'd be robbing yourself of the journey to get to them. Just go read the damn book, instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reaper Man.