Reidun's Reviews > August Moon: Humor and Hijinks

August Moon by Jess Lourey

Somehow I missed entirely, until the end of this episode of Mira James' life, that it was part of a series. That it stood so well on its own is an accomplishment.

I've made it a point this year to focus specifically on female writers whenever possible, and Jess Lourey is one of my favorite finds.

Mira James, like most Minnesotans, isn't perfect, but her flaws are not wrought, torturous, poetic justice--she's not at all unlike you or me. She has some vices, some hobbies, and some personality quirks that, at first I thought made her stand out in Battle Lake, but toward the end it's pretty clear she snuggles in just fine shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Mrs. Berns and Curtis Poling, in her own way.

The ingrained humor style of anyone who says "You betcha" unironically is dry and self-deprecating, but it kept me chortling throughout, even in the action-packed story climax. Some of the humor is a little on-the-nose, but, again, that's part of the appeal. I've lived in California for over 4 years now and have no desire to ever live in Minnesota again, but Mira's adventures and mishaps are a pleasant reminder of my home state and the kind of people and communities I came from. Can't wait to read the rest of this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read August Moon.

November 17, 2018 – Started Reading
November 17, 2018 – Shelved
December 7, 2018 –
7.0% "I really hope the quality continues. One of the better books I've read and I am enjoying it enough to actually want to finish it without it feeling like a chore!"
December 10, 2018 –