Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)'s Reviews > The Winter Sister

The Winter Sister by Megan  Collins

4.5 Stars

The Winter Sister is a stunning, suspense-filled, edge of your seat debut by Megan Collins! I was thoroughly captivated by this tale of domestic suspense and mystery surrounding the unsolved murder of a young girl and her younger sister's determination to see justice served sixteen years later. Also, being a literature professor, I delighted in how Collins wrote such a passionate, discordant, disastrous family tragedy and so aptly named her murdered protagonist Persephone after the daughter of Zeus in Greek mythology to drive the storyline to its exhilarating and apt ending! It was quite clever and showed from the beginning the stark differences between the two daughters/sisters, who shared different fathers, one named Sylvie and the other named after the greatest of all the gods...

One sister's unsolved murder, another sister's misplaced guilt and compulsion to solve her sister's murder, and a mother's desperate, heartwrenching grief over a daughter's loss that drives her toward madness make this novel more than just a mystery. It's a novel about mother, daughter, and sister bonds, and the strengths, complexities, and fragilities of those relationships. Collins has written authentic, raw, and not always likable characters who have depth and substance, which is one reason I loved the book as much as I did since excellent and meticulous characterization is one of my top reasons for enjoying a novel.

The storyline is captivating from page one and although I guessed the mystery of Persephone's murder midway, that in no way detracts from the book because the characters and their struggles to come to terms not only with Persephone's murder but also with the pain and hurts they've caused one another since then and the guilt they've carried makes for an utterly spellbinding and heartwrenching read!

Can I say that I've already read some excellent suspense novels releasing in 2019, and The Winter Sister most definitely goes on that list?! I can already predict that 2019 is going to be an outstanding writing year for suspense and thrillers and am honestly thrilled to see so many debut authors already at the top of the list! Without a doubt, I'll be watching for everything Collins writes from now on because I know it will be superb!

Collins' debut is masterful, expressive writing and domestic suspense at its best. This is one novel you don't want to miss! The Winter Sister publishes February 5, 2019, so make sure you preorder your copy now!

**Thank you Isabel at Atria Books for the ARC to read in exchange for my fair and honest review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sister.

November 17, 2018 – Shelved
December 16, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
December 16, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
December 16, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 12, 2019 – Shelved as: from-the-publisher

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Ohh this sounds good! Glad you enjoyed it and look forward to your review :)

Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction) It really is! Thanks! I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it too. The writing is excellent. 💕

Melissa Great review, Stephanie! Wasn't a new favorite for me unfortunately, but I liked your enthusiasm. 💜

Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction) Melissa wrote: "Great review, Stephanie! Wasn't a new favorite for me unfortunately, but I liked your enthusiasm. 💜"

Thank you, Melissa! I'm sorry it didn't work for you :( Thank you! ♥