Bradley's Reviews > Across the Nightingale Floor

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

bookshelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, ya

This is a light Feudal Japanese fantasy that focuses heavily on growing up to be an assassin, trembling with desire and love, and reveals that drive the main character to dire measures.

Does most of this sound familiar in YA fiction? It should. :)

Fortunately, I enjoy light Feudal Japanese fantasies... NARUTO!!! and while this is fairly light on the magic, (sorry, Naruto fans,) the writing is comfortable and predictable and I can firmly put this in the comfort-food category of literature.

Special things of note... lots of assassination training and experience! A love story for the ages! Loveable mentors falling to force big decisions on main characters!

Sigh... at least I like this kind of thing. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Nightingale Floor.

November 16, 2018 – Shelved
November 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 8, 2019 – Started Reading
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-shelf
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: ya
January 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Trish Hm. *looks at rating* ... *reads review* ... *feels like weeping*

message 2: by Bradley (last edited Jan 09, 2019 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bradley Others got there first. ; ; sorry!

Fortunately, I can list a number of great books if you want more like this! :)

Brent Week's Shadows trilogy is great for assassins. :) A LOT more magic and one HELL of a nasty twist, too. :)

Trish I thought this was perfectly fine, thank you very much. No need for others. Pffft!

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph Hey, Bradley; have you read Daniel Abraham's 'Long Price Quartet'? It's not technically a feudal Japanese fantasy, but it really has the same sort of feel. I loved it.

Bradley I read two of the four and didn't continue lol. But yeah, it had that feel, too.

Still prefer Naruto for the whole feel. :) Even the same terms. :)

message 6: by Paul (new)