Harry's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 10, 2012 — I own a copy

I wasn't sure what to expect when I was handed a copy of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I had just bought my own copy only to find out that we already owned one in the house. I was very curious to read what all the sensation was about and even more so because there was a movie about.
As it turns out everyone has already seen the Swedish version and doesn't want to stomach the American one. Even though as I read it was always Daniel Craig as Kalle Blomkvist.

Reading the short epitaph to the author Steig Larsson was enough to intrigue me. "a leading expert on antidemocratic. right wing extremist Nazi organizations." Where exactly would Larsson lead us?
At first I was surprised at the amount of detail put in to the beginning and I really wasn't quite sure how it was all going to fit together. But noting the size of the book I am glad Larsson spent time being thorough.

I think Larsson wrote some wonderful characters, and I really liked the relationships. Sometimes it was of course hard to follow the Vanger famliy but there were enough charts to figure it out or just push on.

I've given 5 stars to the book for the narrative, voice and storytelling capability.

I like that there was an introduction plot and then a main plot with a surprise plot included. The book concludes the main plot in a heart pounding suspense, but also rewards us with a conclusion to the story found at the beginning of the book.
Oddly I liked Larsson's ending. The book closes so that you could be satisfied with just reading one of the three books in the Millennium Trilogy. With no hints to a sequel I think that leaves the next book more open, disconnected but familiar with this first book.

Is it a Feel Bad novel? Im not so sure. It could be that I'm heavily desensitized. I happened to have watched the new "I Spit on your Grave" remake and that set the pallet for outrageous violence. Ultimately, and strangely I was not shocked and a little let down.
To be honest the blurb on the back indicates, "Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption." I was expecting the books to link over a women smuggling ring and for Wennerstrom to be a small cog but invaluable piece of the puzzle. I think I expected more conspiracy and certainly not a happy ending. (!) Something akin to "Taken".

Overall I enjoyed the book. I like a good mystery and I enjoyed the characters. The book was well written and came across well with vivid imagery. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book.