ABookwormWithWine's Reviews > Park Avenue Summer

Park Avenue Summer by Renee Rosen

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5 (4.5/5)

Park Avenue Summer by Renee Rosen is described as Mad Men meets The Devil Wears Prada, and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree. As a lover of both of them, I could definitely see them both in this book.

What it's about: It is New York in 1965 and Alice Weiss has just moved there from Youngstown, Ohio looking for a job. Thanks to a friend of Alice's deceased mother, Alice gets an interview to be the assistant for Helen Gurley Brown who has just become the new editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine. With people quitting right and left, Helen ends up hiring Alice pretty much on the spot. But growing up in the Midwest has not prepared Alice for the whirlwind she ends up in at Cosmo. Between the pressure of the magazine and trying to find her way in New York with both life and love, Alice has her work cut out for her.

I can't quite put into words how much I was moved by Park Avenue Summer, and I honestly don't think I even have the vocabulary to properly express just how good it was for me. I loved Alice's character even though she is fictional, and being able to see Helen and Cosmo at that time through her eyes. Alice is dealing with her own pain as well as trying to keep up with Helen, plus trying to make friends, pursuing her passion of photography, and vetting love interests. She is one very busy single girl, and I loved reading her story.

I knew very little about Cosmopolitan magazine's history, and wasn't even aware of Helen Gurley Brown being their first ever female editor-in-chief. I used to read Cosmo all the time and it was so interesting seeing how Helen made it what it is today. I loved Helen's story almost as much as I loved Alice's, and Park Avenue Summer made me want to read more about her as well as read her book Sex and the Single Girl: The Unmarried Woman's Guide to Men, Careers, the Apartment, Diet, Fashion, Money and Men because it was so controversial.

The chapters weren't too terribly long, and even though it took me about 5 hours and 15 minutes to read, it felt like I was flying through the book. I laughed out loud so many times, but also cried a decent amount, especially towards the end of the book. Park Avenue Summer is another one of those novels that I recommend having tissues close by for when you read it!

Final Thought: I really loved Rosen's writing style, and this made my reading experience thoroughly enjoyable. I think that if you are at all interested in Helen Gurley Brown or the history of Cosmo magazine, Park Avenue Summer will be a must read for you. I loved how much it felt like Mad Men, and reading about New York in 1965 was an interesting experience that I loved. I am most definitely looking forward to reading more from Rosen!

I received an Advance Review Copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Park Avenue Summer.

November 15, 2018 – Shelved
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: made-me-lol
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: tear-jerker
April 29, 2019 – Shelved as: tragedy
April 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sherri Thacker Wow! That cover!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Wonderful review!💗

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Zetes Great review ❤💕📚

ABookwormWithWine Sherri wrote: "Wow! That cover!"

Right?! I love it!! Stunning.

ABookwormWithWine *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Wonderful review!💗"

Thank you so much girl!! 💙💙

ABookwormWithWine Lisa wrote: "Great review ❤💕📚"

Thank you Lisa! 🤗💕