Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > Shadow Magic

Shadow Magic by Nazri Noor

liked it

"No, that stench came from the third corpse. The one that had a man’s body, but the unmistakeable dead red eyes, whiskered muzzle, and matted fur of a rodent. It was half man, and half giant rat.

Yeah. Just another day on the job."

Color me surprised. If I hadn't known in advance that this was a self-published book, I would not have guessed. The writing flows smoothly, the cover art is pretty great, there are no glaring grammatical or spelling errors. Overall, it was a decent read. The three stars is for the fact that urban fantasy isn't really my thing, but I can see it being hugely enjoyable for someone who enjoys the genre more than I do.

The book is set in modern-day California. It's the standard "magic exists but nobody knows about it" kind of thing. Dustin Graves is a Hound for a magical organization called the Lorica. That's to say, he finds shit for them. One night on a routine job, he stumbles onto the corpse, and all hell breaks loose.

It really was an enjoyable read. Dustin is a good narrator. I didn't find him boring. He doesn't try too hard to be clever or witty, but he's a fairly snarky character all the same, which I like. There are no characters that particularly got on my nerves, and there's plenty of action to keep things going. I could use some more introspection, but this really is not that type of book. Overall, a solid book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Magic.

Finished Reading
November 15, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mark Lawrence (new)

Mark Lawrence Nice review! Good to see you hit a solid book on just your 2nd SPFBO pick.

message 2: by Tom (new)