Russell Atkinson's Reviews > A Death in Live Oak

A Death in Live Oak by James Grippando

liked it

They say an author should write what he knows and this book is a good example of why that is so - both in the good sense and the bad. Grippando was a trial lawyer and the legal strategy and courtroom scenes in the book are excellent. As a retired attorney myself, I found them credible and entertaining. I'm also a retired FBI agent, and the author obviously is not because his scenes involving the main character's FBI agent wife and the whole FBI undercover operation are preposterous - almost laughable. I gave up on his earlier novel Blood Money for the same reason. There are plenty of FBI retirees out there; the author should really make an effort to have one give him some advice or serve as a beta reader. The plot line involves the lynching of a black student in Northern Florida - two, in fact, one a historical reality, the other a modern day fictional one. I found the characters one-dimensional stereotypes and the writing unexciting, but the plot and the legal stuff were entertaining enough to kill a few hours here and there despite the book's flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Death in Live Oak.

Started Reading