Sara's Reviews > See Now Then

See Now Then by Jamaica Kincaid

liked it
bookshelves: novels-and-shorts

See now Then. Then is Now. Now is Then. At first, she had to think about the sentences, the rush of thoughts, the constant flow, because Then is Now and Now is Then and the circle of life is not linear, she thought, but the language, the language Then and the language Now is beautiful.

Then that being said, once I got used to the flow of the book and the unusual sentence structure, I was swept up in a sad sad story about a marriage gone painfully, sadly, awfully wrong. The three star rating that I gave this book is primarily due to the depressing subject and the cloud that never, ever lifts.

The back and forth, Then and Now storytelling is unusual and it does tend to try to round out the picture of the story in the sense that a flashback would do. This is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Sweet and how they perceive their worlds Now and how they perceive their worlds Then. It is also the story of their two children, Herakles and the Beautiful Persephone whose names I am certain are symbolic if I would take the time to research that.

I think a bit of joy would have lightened the heaviness of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See Now Then.

November 15, 2018 – Started Reading
November 20, 2018 –
page 136
November 20, 2018 –
page 136
74.73% "Very depressing book"
November 21, 2018 –