Jason Duby's Reviews > Shatterwing

Shatterwing by Donna Maree Hanson

M 50x66

The world of Margra has been dealt a devastating amount of damage as one of its moons. Ruel has been shattered. The moon is now in two major pieces, Rueline and Ruelette, but a belt of lumar chunks also exists. It’s from this debris field, known as Shatterwing, that meteors fall from and rain devastation on the land below. Civilization is failing, and it’s in this fantastic setting that several characters try to survive and accomplish their own goals, from restoring vitality to the world to learning about the age and the role that dragons have to play in this critical time.

Donna Maree Hanson has created one of the most unique fantasy settings that I have run across in my recent reading. The book has different plot threads that start to interweave in this environment, each one involving different characters. As the tales continue, the reader learns more and more about the world and the danger that it suffers in its current state. The ideas presented are ambitious and are very reminiscent of the writings of Anne McCaffery. The main characters are developed well, though it becomes obvious that this world is not a kind one very quickly.

My main contention with this novel is that it is indeed a start to this tale, but there’s no real resolution at the end of the book. Obviously there are more books in this series, which explains why things stop in the middle of a couple of different arcs. Personally I wish that there had been even a temporary sense of resolution at the end, and I have to wonder if people who start in the middle of this series will have all the information required to catch everything. But the book is worth a reading and some consideration, based on that environment alone.

(I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from Romance Authors That Rock. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatterwing.

November 14, 2018 – Started Reading