Mo's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Jan 10, 2012

The Battle of the Labyrinth is a dark sinister chapter in the Percy Jackson series. The gravity of the prophecy and the foes that face our beloved characters is emphasized more so than ever and for once, Percy's fate is not as certain as you would think.

In this latest chapter of Percy's saga, Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Tyson face unrelenting evil around every corner and to succeed, true personal sacrifice is required. Are the gods of Olympus truly worth the price that young demigods and their friends pay?

Percy grows up hard and fast, and fills into his role as a leader and decision maker unthinkingly. It is a shame that Rick Riordan continue the trend of Percy's ignorance about most things Greek, however this flaw is more palatable as Percy's willingness to take command showcases the inherent strengths he has a demigod.

As Percy grew in stature, the other demigods were taken down a peg as the story shows us that they are all still teenagers still growing, in need of help, parenting and love. Annabeth, Clarisse and Luke are all humanized in this book and that was very justifying to see.

All in all this was a great book. So far my second favorite of the series, but I may be premature as the Last Olympian awaits me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.

January 10, 2012 – Shelved
January 11, 2012 – Started Reading
January 12, 2012 –
page 16
4.43% "I am a little taken aback by book 4. The action started off with a bag, no opener, no background setup. Just insta-hero attack. What??!!"
January 12, 2012 –
page 44
12.19% "The change of pace in book 4 is jarring! Rick Riordan is taking you on a roller coaster ride, ready or not. Our hero and his faithful companions are ready to dash off on their next adventure and it's only chapter 4."
January 13, 2012 –
page 151
41.83% "As noted before, this book is such a departure from the series. Percy, Annabeth and all our heroes have had to make bigger decisions that come with even darker consequences for failure. There is true pain, anger and bitterness in this installment of the series."
January 13, 2012 – Finished Reading