Rukky's Reviews > Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

liked it
bookshelves: female-mc, borrowed-library, ebook, favorites, reviewed, spies
Read 2 times. Last read April 23, 2019.

I just re-read this and I don't feel like doing a whole review, so here are my thoughts in a nutshell.

When I first read this when I was younger, I REALLY liked it. However, now that I'm reading it for the second time, I realize that there are some flaws and that it isn't the most perfect 5 star book out there. And in true Cammie fashion, we're going to use a PRO and CON list.

CON: I found Zach's continuous pointing to himself and saying "Spy." whenever he knew something that he shouldn't very annoying.

PRON? This is a bit far-fetched but I can see the appeal that it had for younger me.

CON: There is A LOT of talk about how awesome Cammie is, but we don't really see much of it. For instance, there are CONSTANT (literally every other sentence) reminders about how many languages she can speak, how many ways she can kill someone/disarm them, how her mom is a total legend, how her teachers are these awesome spies who are A) Either ex-spies hiding from government agencies, B) Total hotties who are also mysterious and dark, and C) How much all the Gallagher Girls love certain ones, and YET we don't see much of this awesomeness. It's just thrown in there to remind you in case you forget. Sorry, but I don't suffer from memory loss in the span of 30 seconds.

PRO: It was still fun and quite light, while still being an espionage style story

PRO: I kind of like Zach even though he's so so annoying

CON: I'm going to tone my 5 star rating down to 3

PRO: I really really loved the sisterhood theme going through-out the story.

I don't know if I'm going to re-read the rest of the series and the first book, but if I do, I'm probably going to share my thoughts on those as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy.

January 16, 2018 – Started Reading
April 23, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
April 23, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
April 23, 2019 – Shelved as: spies
April 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. There are a lot of books that one would like more when they're younger, so I always respect my younger self and rate on how much I enjoyed it back then and don't change it and also try no to reread it 😂 though, to be fair, my younger self had awesome taste and still had logical reasons for loving things 😁

Rukky 😂😂 I know but I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to read a spy book and I don't know that many do I just reread it. I'm sure younger you had a great taste in books 😁😁

message 3: by Mary (last edited Apr 29, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

Mary S. R. You can always use the help of Goodreads' genres. Here's the page for Espionage, it also has a link to the Spy Thriller page, and you can just look up any genre you want, you'll see the popular books for each, etc. That's why I have a lot of books—I go to the genre's pages and end up adding a bunch 😂

Rukky Yeah, I know. But I was lazy, and didn't want to have to go looking. I'll check it out now, cause I need some spy books...

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. Yikes hope your shelves explode :))

Rukky I wish I could wish the same for you, but yours have already exploded 😂