Sebastian Gebski's Reviews > Thinking in Promises: Designing Systems for Cooperation

Thinking in Promises by Mark  Burgess

It took me a few years of professional work experience to come up with very similar thoughts & conclusions.
Then it took me next few years to be able to phrase them out for others & make myself capable of convincing them why this is the way to go - I even now, I don't think I'm super good in that.

I wish I had (& read) this book earlier. Not that I believe it would save me all those years - you really have to feel some pains first to actual UNDERSTAND what's the fuss about, but certainly it'd give me more confidence while exploring the paths.

This is NOT a book for juniors/beginners. This is NOT a technical book. This book is about systems thinking, scalable & non-brittle design. It's written in a very simple, approachable English, BUT it doesn't mean it's easily comprehensible - it's exactly like with E. Evans'es book about DDD - a personal below some proficiency (& experience) threshold will just fly through it without noticing any substance on the way.

I love it, because it's essential in understanding the foundation of properly structured systems - declarative, intent-based, mutually respected domain-oriented contracts. And everything else is a freaking implementation detail. Such a simple concept, yet it's so hard to master (for our whole industry).

A-MUST-READ (at some point of your career).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking in Promises.

November 14, 2018 – Started Reading